Motorcyclists love the area around Cullman, AL for its beautiful, scenic roads. The experts at Insurance Solutions Inc. want all of our neighbors to enjoy safe and legal riding on our shared roads. Before you start out on your 2-wheeled adventure, get familiar with the requirements for motorcycle drivers in the state of Alabama.
- Drivers over the age of 16 are not required to have a specialized license while operating a motorcycle. A regular driver’s license grants riders the ability to use motorcycles as well. A class M designation is available for those who want to officially verify their skills or plan on driving on out-of-state roads.
- All motorcycles must be registered with the Alabama DMV. An active motorcycle insurance policy is required to complete registration. The minimum required coverage is $25,000 per person for bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage. Riders may opt to establish self-insurance with a $50,000 cash bond in lieu of a traditional policy.
- All riders are required to wear helmets. The headgear must have a shatter-proof outer shell that also resists penetration and reduces impact. Shoes must also be worn throughout the entire ride.
- Street-legal machines must have at least one mirror and handlebars no more than 15 inches above the seat. Modulating headlights are encouraged to increase your visibility to other drivers.
- Alabama is a no-fault state. When an accident occurs, the party responsible for causing it must pay for all damages. This makes a comprehensive motorcycle insurance policy a necessity.
Insurance Solutions Inc. offers motorcycle coverage for residents in the Cullman, AL area. Contact our specialists now to customize your policy.